I have had a lifelong interest in photography, dating back to a childhood obsession with Super 8 stop motion animation, which later morphed into an interest in stills photography. This page will be extended over time to include essays on photography -- I'm finding myself posting long blog entries in essay style quite frequently, so my intention is to move some of that existing material here, and to post new material here also.
Note that some of the links here point at posts on my LiveJournal -- they are all public posts, so you don't need an LJ account to read them. However, my LJ does not allow anonymous comments, and comments from anyone not on my friends list's comments will be screened. This is purely for anti-spam reasons, so I would encourage you to get a (free) LJ account and post comments if there is something you'd like to say.
- Beattie Intenscreen (updated Sep 27th 2006)
- Keeping it Sharp (under construction) -- achieving the best possible results with high resolution digital sensors isn't easy.
- Defishing -- Defishing medium-format fisheye images
- Why I Shoot Digitally -- My reasons for shooting primarily black & white digitally
- Synthetic HDR -- Gaining more dynamic range from a single source image. This has gone a little beyond being just an essay recently, since it now includes a dowloadable Photoshop plugin.
- Linearising Fine-Art Monochrome Prints -- A do-it-yourself recipe for creating extremely high quality fine-art prints despite lack of monochrome profile support in the Epson printer drivers.
- The flip-side of photo clubs -- Why I no longer 'do' photography clubs or online photography forums.
The making of ...
The essays in this section each take a single image and show how it was made, step by step.
- Sliced -- How to cut up a glass of water without spilling a drop
This is a new section, very much still under construction. The intention is to start building up some portfolios of existing work, whilst also giving me somewhere to put new projects as they come along.
- Screwed -- A new project, based on the aesthetics of mankind's simplest machine, the screw. Or maybe I should call the project The Taming of the Screw. Or something.
- Valentines Lost -- Dead flowers.
- Muse -- Photos of my muse (Warning: possibly not safe for work)
- More work in progress -- (also not safe for work)
- Brenda/Bob/Les -- (not safe for work)
- Far North -- Photos from the arctic, Summer 2008, at Haughton Mars Project
- Zoomify Images -- Huge images in zoomify format
My photographic trips are catalogued here.
- Maui, April 2007
- California/Arizona/New Mexico Road Trip, February 2007
- Mendocino Coast, California, September 2006 (under construction)
- Tent Rocks National Monument, New Mexico, September 2006 (under construction)
- Pacific coast, September 2006: [LJ post]
- Yosemite, August 2006: [Initial LJ post] [Follow-up post]
- Armstrong Redwoods State Park, August 2006: [LJ post]
- Haughton Mars Project, Summer 2008
As this can be an FAQ, this is my current Kit List
I don't normally do *****, but...
- This is the Wedding that slipped through the net...
- And some Snail Jewellery I photographed for a friend.
PHIG 2007 group show, August 2007, Pacific Art League, Palo Alto CA
'Rocks and Boulders, Ultrachrome K3 Print
Half Dome, Yosemite.
Cambo 4x5/Better Light Super-6K, Schneider Super Angulon 90mm, f16.